Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pigeons

Let the pigeons be. 
There's no need to torture them, or try and hit them with your car.
They're just trying to live, like any other creature. The only thing they ever want is a bit of food to help them survive the day- is that so much to ask for? 
Yes, I know theres a lot of them, and their species is quite overpopulated. Especially in Manhattan. But, that's not unlike the human situation. True, a human cannot really be compared to a pigeon, but they are both living creatures that deserve some level of respect. Plus, some humans can be as, and even sometimes more, "annoying" than most pigeons. 
And what of the stray cats? People leave food out for them all the time (I am, in this case, referring to the Hofstra Cats, which are classified as feral) and try to be as friendly as possible to them. But then they go and look down on the poor, mistreated pigeon. But why? Don't get me wrong, I love cats, but why were cats accepted into the social norm as "good" animals, and pigeons classified as "bad"? Both species can carry diseases, both can be a nuisance at times. So why the difference of feelings? 
I like pigeons. I think they can be really cute, especially the little head bob thing they do. And the range of colors in their feathers is just beautiful. Perhaps it's just me, maybe I'm the only person who likes pigeons. Even so, I'm still going to try and stop the idiots if I see them trying to run over one of these sweet little birds again. 

No comments: