Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Doors

I hate that slamming door sound.
You know, the one that always blasts into your ears when someone signs off on AIM. It's not even a gentle closing door, it's an all-out, shatter the wood slam. 
That slamming says to me, 
"Sorry, but I'm closing the door on our possible conversation."
All the inside jokes that could have been made, the heartfelt confessions that only blaring computer screens can provide, hell, our conversation could have lead to a cure for cancer. It doesn't matter if it's an obscure name that has been on my list for so long I don't even remember who it is (but it's probably that one friend I made at that camp I went to for one summer), just knowing that person forcefully shut the door on a possible exchange of thoughts and life stories...well, that just depresses me. 
That's why, instead of a door-slam sound, I have a door Opening sound play when I sign off. This way, people don't feel like they're getting a door closed in their face but instead feel like they are stepping through an open door, into a mindset filled with the possibliity that we can talk later...
 
Which we will. As soon as I sign back on. (I have a chicken cluck for that). 

No comments: